Sunday, June 21, 2009

"ya" vs "yes"

Today I was visiting my parents, hanging out with the family for Father’s Day. My daughter was talking with my mom about the cool stuff she had brought to play with in her bag. In this conversation I hear my aunt saying “YES” several times, I realize that she is saying “yes” over my daughters “ya” answers to my mom. I am not a “yes maam, no sir” kind of mom. The first few times I didn’t say anything, finally told my aunt that it is not a big deal, that “ya” is acceptable. My aunt tells me that I am raising a disrespectful child. That is when I got mad. My daughter is far from disrespectful. And my aunt is thinking this just because my daughter answered “ya” and not “yes” REALLY? I know part of this is a culture difference, my aunt is visiting from the south and we are in the west. Anyway, angry words said between my aunt and I, I’m sure she thought I was not showing her respect, but I will always defend my children. I do not find my daughter disrespectful; I think she is a sweet little girl.

So here is my question. Do you make your kids answer “yes” and “no” or do you find “ya” and “na” acceptable?

(Don’t get me wrong, there are times that I prefer my kids answer “yes” and “no”, but I do not find them disrespectful if they don’t)

No comments:

Post a Comment