Wednesday, May 20, 2009

So Proud

This morning Austin got an award, his last award from elementary school. He was recognized for his pride and dedication and to our country. Austin as well as a small group of other 6th graders raise the flag each morning and lower and fold the flag each afternoon. It is really amazing to watch this, to watch these little kids with so much respect for our flag. They are very particular about every detail involved. Today I got to watch Austin and his friends hand the reins over to the new group of kids that will take over for them next year. I could tell it was hard for each of the older kids to let their job go. Each one would have to remind the others to let the new students do what they have done all year, something that they were very proud of.

Something that I am very proud of.

Last year Austin submitted an essay explaining what the Flag meant to him. The essay was optional, so for those that know Austin it must have been something that he felt strongly about or he would not have taken the time to do extra school work. I would love to have a copy of that essay but it is lost somewhere out there. Anyway, I did not find out about this until late last year when Austin told me that through his essay, he was selected to raise the flag in 6th grade. I was, I am so proud of him.


No comments:

Post a Comment